R-lipoic acid - the super antioxidans
Alpha-lipoic acid (which can also be abbreviated to "lipoic acid") is the most powerful antioxidant, that is produced in every cell in the body. It is also known as the "super antioxidant" or "universal antioxidant", as it can neutralise free radicals in both fat-soluble and water soluble environments of the body.
Due to these properties, it is easily absorbed, and transported into many organs and systems in the body, for example into the brain, the liver and the nerves, where it can protect the cells on a broad scale.
This property makes the lipoic acid so unique. Other antioxidants can only either reach fatty or aqueous parts of the cells, and do not have access to other environments.
What is the function of Alpha-lipoic acid?
Alpha-lipoic acid also has the unique capacity to regenerate itself and other antioxidants, such as Vitamin C, Vitamin E, coenzyme Q10 or glutathione, and thus extend its effect. This is one of the reasons why R-alpha-lipoic acid is so important in maintaining and promoting health.
One of the most important functions of R-alpha-lipoic acid is to increase the body's own production of glutathione, as a result of which toxic substances in the liver can be dissolved.
In addition, lipoic acid helps to increase the positive effects of other important antioxidants in the body, such as glutathione and coenzyme Q10 - two essential compounds in combating age and illness.
It can also be combined with the Vitamin B family to assist energy production in the body by converting the nutrients carbohydrates, proteins and fats into stored energy for future use. Lipoic acid does this by helping to protect the mitochondria (the cells that generate energy) against oxidative stress, as a result of which it is ensured that the energy production in the body remains efficient.
How does R-alpha-lipoic acid differ from other forms of lipoic acid?
Lipoic acid is available in three forms: R-alpha-lipoic acid, S-alpha-lipoic acid and RS-alpha-lipoic acid.
- R-alpha-lipoic acid is the natural, active form of lipoic acid. It is the only form that is found in nature and produced in the body.
- S-alpha-lipoic acid and RS-alpha-lipoic acid are artificial compounds, that are produced through chemical synthesis and usually sold as alpha-lipoic acid.
Research shows that R-alpha-lipoic acid is the right structural coupling for membrane receptors and enzymes. It is therefore metabolised more efficiently and is more effective than synthetic, unnatural forms of lipoic acid.
Should a lipoic acid product not specifically be labelled R-alpha-lipoic acid or R-lipoic acid, it is likely that it is an artificial, less effective form of lipoic acid.
Why do we need additional R-lipoic acid?
R-alpha-lipoic acid is in fact produced by nature in our body cells. The capacity for synthesis does, however, increasingly decrease with age. In order to nonetheless maintain the protective effect of lipoic acid on the cells, it makes sense to take extra alpha-lipoic acid as a dietary supplement.
Alpha-lipoic acid is presently already utilised by many doctors alongside the therapy. It is known for protecting, and even restoring, the integrity of the cells throughout the body.
The many benefits of alpha-lipoic acid:
- Regenerates antioxidants such as Vitamin E and Vitamin C
- Reinforces the positive effects of glutathione and coenzyme Q10
- Reduces the oxidative stress in the body
- Improves multiple components of the metabolic syndrome
- Lowers blood pressure
- Reduces insulin resistance
- Improves the lipid profile
- Increases insulin sensitivity
- Protects and regenerates the liver
- Improves diabetic neuropathy
- Protects against the formation of cataracts
- Improves visual function in the case of glaucoma
- Protects the brain and the nervous system
- Reduces brain damage after a stroke
- Helps to remove toxic metals from the body
- Reduces the frequency and intensity of migraine
- Improves the skin structure
Benefits of BioActive R-lipoic acid:
- BioActive R-lipoic acid exclusively contains 100% natural R-alpha-lipoic acid in the form of sodium R-lipoate. The latter is a recently developed, more stable form of the natural R-alpha-lipoic acid, which is bonded to sodium.
- In addition, this new form of R-alpha-lipoic acid has up to 30 times more bioavailability than conventional alpha-lipoic acid. Each BioActive R-lipoic acid capsule contains 100 mg sodium R-lipoic acid per capsule.
- BioActive R-lipoic acid also contains Biotin, as greater quantities of this vital substance are needed by the body if lipoic acid is taken regularly.
- BioActive R-lipoic acid capsules do not contain any flowing agents, fillers, colourings or preservatives. The R-lipoic acid is filled into vegetable-based capsules and GMO-free.
- BioActive R-lipoic acid capsules are suitable for vegetarians and vegans.